getting encrypted password as empty string

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM
I am using VFP Entity Framework Provider for .NET (EF) to read data from a VFP database. In the user table there is a password column. When I get focus in the password cell in VFP I can easily copy the value and edit it:

On the .NET side the value is read without any problems.

Now once in a while there is a peculiar row with a password with trailing spaces:

When I put focus in that cell VFP acts like there's no value at all:

When I retrieve that user in my program using Entity Framework I get an empty string. I don't know how this password is generated, all I know is that it works for the original VFP program using the database. There is no problem with other passwords, and this happens rather rarely, but repetitively.

What is the source of that behavior? Is there a workaround to retrieve the correct value on the .NET or VFP side?
Coordinator
Jul 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Based on your statements, it sounds like VFP and .Net are consistent in the way that they read the invalid password. So I’m curious what you mean by “it works for the original VFP program?” Do you just mean that the user is able to login without any problems? If so, have you checked to see if that user can login regardless of what they use for the password? I ask because in VFP it is possible to write a comparison statement that is always true when comparing against an empty string - which means it could look like the VFP program is working... but it really isn't verifying the password in this case.

I can look into this a little further if you could send me a table that has just the password column and two rows. One row with a valid password and one row with an invalid password. (tombrothers@outlook.com)