FieldType "character (binary)"

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Hi,
does the framework provide fields with type "character (binary)"?

I have a table with this type and it is mapped to type string but if i query the table i get this error:
"The type of the key field 'Csatzid' is expected to be 'System.String', but the value provided is actually of type 'System.Byte[]'."

I tried to change the .edmx file an set the field to type "blob" and the property to "Binary" but if i perform an update i receive this message "Modifying Blob data is not supported at the moment." Perfoming a query on that field as blob is possible.

Thanks
Markus
Coordinator
Apr 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM
I haven't test the character (binary) field type. But I don't expect that it would be a problem to get it to work. Do you have a sample project that you could let me use for testing? If so, you can email it to me at tombrothers@outlook.com. If not, no problem... I'll create a project to test this scenario.
Apr 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM
I have a project but it contains medical data and i'm not allowed to send it to you.

Thanks for your fast help!
Coordinator
Apr 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM
I didn't have any problems when testing with character binary fields. In my edmx file the field was character (not blob or binary). Any thoughts on how I can recreate your issue?
Apr 29, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I think it's because i use the character binary field as key for the table. I'll email you a small test project.
What i did:
  1. created a edmx with designer for the table
  2. as the definition for the table was created as "readonly" i modified the edmx
  3. set the Csatzid-Field as key-Field
Coordinator
May 5, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I posted a new build that includes a fix for this issue.
May 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Thank you. It's working now.
Regards
Markus