Installing the Provider.

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Hi, I'm having problems installing the Provider. I've downloaded the msi file and run it and it all appeared to go fine. When I try to select the Provider from within Visual Studio it does not appear in the list. I am running Windows 7 x64 and using Visual Studio 2010. I have followed the installation steps shown @ http://www.randomdevnotes.com/2011/10/vfp-entity-framework-provider-v0-5/ . One thing I have noticed is that the machine.config file is not present in the location specified in the instructions: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\machine.config but I have found it here: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config and also here: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config I have added the Provider entry to both of these files and it still does not appear in the list. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Thanks for pointing out that I had the wrong path list in the blog entry.  You only need to modify C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config because the VFP EF Provider will only work in x86 builds (VfpOleDb restriction).

As far as your problem goes…  I've seen this problem when the version number in the machine.config doesn't match the dll version number.  Check to make sure that the version numbers match. You can get the dll version number to looking at the file properties for C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual FoxPro Entity Framework Provider\VfpEntityFrameworkProvider.dll.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply, you were correct, the machine.config file was referencing version 0.5.0 & not 0.6.0. I corrected the version number & the provider now appears in the list. I noticed that you just released version 0.6.1 which amongst other things addresses issues with free tables. Most of the tables I work with are not part of a database so I have installed the latest version. The changes you have made to the installation are a great addition, no more fiddling with the config file. Unfortunately whilst it was finishing the configuration wizard (which took several minutes) Visual Studio crashed. Any ideas?

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM

No idea on what could have caused Visual Studio to crash. The worst that I’ve seen happen is a list of errors in the Error List panel when things went awry. Can I get a zapped copy of your data so that I can debug the issue? If so, you can email at trbrothers@hotmail.com.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Thanks to your help, I finally got there. As per your suggestion deleting my Visual Studio Application Data in my user profile located at c:\Users\<me>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Visual Studio\10.0 (where <me> is my username) solved the problem.