Field named Joined : Date in VFP

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:51 PM
I have a Date field in my free table. I was able to get a working model. (re: http://randomdevnotes.com/2012/02/05/using-vfp-entity-framework-provider-with-free-tables/)

I found it expects the field to be JED in the data, however everywhere else it is Joined.
        <EntityContainer Name="Model2StoreContainer">
          <EntitySet Name="Sk" EntityType="Self.Sk" store:Type="Tables">
            <DefiningQuery>SELECT 
Sk.Mail_No, 
Sk.Pers_No, 
Sk.Lastname, 
Sk.Firstname, 
Sk.Zip, 
Sk.Skill_No, 
Sk.Sk_Level, 
Sk.Interest, 
Sk.Years_Exp, 
Sk.Remarks, 
Sk.Jed AS Joined, 
Sk.Role, 
Sk.Promoyear
FROM Sk Sk</DefiningQuery>
          </EntitySet>
        </EntityContainer>
I changed the line to just read Sk.Joined, yet I still get an exception from VfpClient: {"SQL: Column 'JED' is not found."}
Mar 6, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Found the correction:
Sk.Joined as Jed,
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Good to see that you were able to resolve the issue. But I'd say you have another issue that you need to resolve. Having a DefiningQuery in your EDMX is going to result in poor query performance. Also, you wont be able to do inserts, updates, or deletes. I'd suggest adding candidate keys to your tables and then recreate the Entity Model. Or use code first so that you can easily set a primary key for your Entity Framework model (example).
Mar 7, 2014 at 1:21 PM
The VFP data I'm accessing is also accessed by an active VFP executable. There are more than 2000 different data sets of 100+ tables each. It just isn't feasible to change this. Then, Mail_No, Pers_No, and Skill_No make up the key in this table. I am modifying the Model, creating associations and correcting the keys. I'm not sure if I will use EF to access the data, or write a VFP COM object and use COM Interop in C# to work it all out yet. EF is the requested data access from the boss. I'm giving it a fair shake. Thank you for this project. It is a blessing!