Can't select provider when creating entities

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:49 AM
Edited Nov 10, 2011 at 3:52 AM

I am running Windows 7 x64 and VS 2010.  I downloaded the sample application first and everything worked fine.  I decided to try to build a small replica of your application using your data, I followed the exact steps you described in: http://www.randomdevnotes.com/2011/10/vfp-entity-framework-provider-v0-5, but couldn't get VS EF framework to recognize the VfpEntityFrameworkProvider. 

Here are my steps:

• I made sure to set my application as a x86 application
  • OLEDB driver is installed
  • I downloaded the version 4.2 of Entity Framework
  • I added replicated your directory structure of your sample application
  • I added a reference to v0.6 of the provider(couldn't find it on the add references dialog)

When I try to add a ADO.NET Entity Data Model, I get stuck on "Choose Your Data Connection."  Your driver doesn't come up as an option.  I am able to connect to the FoxPro database using OLEDB what gives?  The settings do appear in machine.config and on my app.config.  The only thing I notice is that the VfpEntityFrameworkProvider was not in the .NET tab of the references.  Could it be missing from the GAC?  Please advise.

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:31 AM
Edited Nov 10, 2011 at 4:32 AM

It turns out that the machine.config file didn't contain a reference to the provider.  After making this correction and restarting visual studio, I hit another snag,  I got a dialog box with the following message:

An error occurred while connecting to the database. The database might be unavailable. An exception of type 'System.Data.EntityCommandExecutionException occurred. The error message is: 'An error occurred while executing the command definition. Seethe inner exception for details. The inner exception caught was of type 'System.lnvalidOperationException', with this error message: The source contains no DataRows.

I recieved this error message before I could see any tables.  Could it be because there are too many tables?  I also discovered that I am using 0.5 and not 0.6.  I referenced 0.5 from the sample application, because I couldn't find where it was installed.  Could this be an issue fixed in 0.6?  Thanks.

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Are you using free tables? If so, I have to post a new build that fixes an issue with getting the schema information. I’ll post the new build this evening.

If you are using a database container… can I get a copy of your data structure so that I can debug the issue?

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM

FYI, I'm trying to connect to a MOM db.  As an off question, can i change providers by by only altering the connection string? I want to connect to SQL server and the FoxPro versions of the product but the have the same schema. Where do I send it? I don't want to put it out in public.